Frances trained in St Andrews and Manchester before becoming a consultant in Paediatric Neurology at the Children’s Hospital for.Wales, Cardiff in 1997. She is married with two daughters. Frances has had epilepsy since childhood and has written and spoken about the effect of sharing her diagnosis with her patients and their families.
Role within CASTLE:
Frances is a co-applicant, clinical advisor and contributor to the clinical trial arm of the project.
Frances has over 20 years experience of caring for children with epilepsy and other neurological disorders. She has a longstanding interest in the problems affecting children with Rolandic epilepsy and was a member of the Cardiff ABICE (Advanced Brain Imaging in Childhood Epilpesy) group based at the Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre, CUBRIC.
- BMedSci, MB, ChB, FRCPCH
- Clinical Paediatric Neurology
- Special interest in epilepsy
- Previous experience in BECTS (Rolandic epilepsy) research
- Paediatric Neurology
- Kirby, Amanda, Natalie Williams, Loes Koelewijn, Lisa M. Brindley, Suresh D. Muthukumaraswamy, Johann te Water Naudé, Marie Thomas, Frances Gibbon, Krish D. Singh, and Khalid Hamandi. “Benign childhood epilepsy with centrotemporal spikes (BECTS) and developmental co-ordination disorder.” Epilepsy & Behavior 72 (2017): 122-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.yebeh.2017.04.014
- Brindley LM, Koelewijn L, Kirby A, Williams N, Thomas M, te Water-Naudé J, Gibbon F, Muthukumaraswamy S, Singh KD, Hamandi K. Ipsilateral cortical motor desynchronisation is reduced in Benign Epilepsy with Centro-Temporal Spikes. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2016 Feb 29;127(2):1147-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2015.08.020
- Koelewijn, L., Hamandi, K., Brindley, L. M., Brookes, M. J., Routley, B. C., Muthukumaraswamy, S. D., Williams, N., Thomas, M. A., Kirby, A., te Water Naudé, J., Gibbon, F. and Singh, K. D. (2015), Resting-state oscillatory dynamics in sensorimotor cortex in benign epilepsy with centro-temporal spikes and typical brain development. Hum. Brain Mapp., 36: 3935–3949. https://doi:10.1002/hbm.22888
- Gibbon F. It’s just petit mal: she’ll grow out of it. Practical neurology. 2011 Dec 1;11(6):370-1 http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/practneurol-2011-000091
- Saxena A, Gibbon F, Naude JtW, Hamandi K. BECTS in Wales; under or overestimated? Epilepsia 55 (S2); 165-166 June 2014
- Brindley LM, Gibbon F, Kirby A, Peters L. Naude JTW, Thomas M, Williams N, Singh KD, Jones DK, Hamandi K.Motor Circuit Tractography Predicts Motor Performance in Children With Rolandic Epilepsy. Epilepsia 53 (S5): 63-63 2012
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frances_Gibbon